Friday, January 8, 2010

The Wrestler (2008)

I'm a sport fan and I really like entertaining, but wrestling is just not my cup of tea. The fake fights doesn't give me anything. Thankfully The Wrestler is not a movie about wrestling. It's a story about a man, and it's painfully realistic some of the time. It might not be the best story ever brought to the screen, but this is most of all Mickey Rourke's show. And he delivers in every scene.

Once one of the great wrestlers, now 20 years later a shadow of what he once was. Still wrestling, but where there once was huge crowds and he the headliner, it's now far from enough to even pay the rent. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

It's a lonely and painful movie, and the pain is most of the reason it works so well. Mickey Rourke. I salute you. Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood is the supporting cast and both does well to help bring out the story, but this is most of all all about Mickey.

No comments:

Post a Comment