Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Genres and me

Like most people I have certain genres I like more than others, and some I hardly ever watch. Personal preference is just personal, and will vary very much also between those genuinely enjoys movies. I make no excuses for my taste, one way or the other. It's the way I'm and while it might not be the perfect way to be to judge movies, I can't change the way certain genres easier connects with me or entertain me.

Romance

I'm more of a romantic than most men, or at least more than most men admits to be. I'll enjoy both large epic dramatic romance stories and those romantic comedies Hollywood make sure to make a lot of just to show off Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, Meg Ryan and all those others often making box office killers with rather uncomplicated stories just to entertain and remind everybody how much they ache for a happy ending and matches made in heaven... ehhh ...Hollywood.

Crime

There's several kind of crime movies. From the Reservoir Dogs movies, heist movies, noir detective movies and so on and so forth to the more complicated mystery movies with either crime, violence or gangsters or the epic tales of criminals like Godfather. In general I'm very much a fan of such movies. I've always enjoyed most of the typical trademarks the genre is based on and most of how its sub-genres goes about them self. Without a doubt my favorite main genre.

Action

Action is often with touches from the crime genre, but they are built mostly on the action parts with shooting, chases, fights and so on. Action is often quite brain dead entertainment, but done well its very entertaining brain dead entertaining. I love my fair share of the John McClane's of the world.

Superhero

There's been a new huge wave of superhero movies lately. Spidey have reached 3, x-men have 3 and they've done some origins ones as well I think, Batman with 2 new modern ones with Nolan, a couple with Hulk, then Fantastic Four and so and so forth. Iron Man have also arrived and there's a new one coming with him as well. Some of them are really good and entertaining, others are a lot of CGI (computer-generated imagery) and awful stories and acting. I do enjoy the genre, but I got some requirements of standard they'll have to match in order to get the ratings they hope for. Unfortunately a lot of them don't, as too many rely on CGI alone to do the work.

Horror

Horror is the one genre I rarely ever watch. Let's just face it. I'm still a scared little boy, so I take no pleasure in being scared as entertainment. My loss. However that also means I rarely ever rate any horror movies, so it's of no huge importance.

Sci-Fi

I got to admit I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan either. Unlike horror-movies I do watch more of them, but my educated guess is it'll take more for me to rate a Sci-Fi movie highly, than for a lot of others.

Drama

When I was younger I usually avoided any movie advertising "based on a true story". That was usually dramas, and whether or not they were based on true stories I didn't watch many of them. As I've aged I've found a greater appreciation of drama as a genre. I still tend to shy away from biographical dramas unless they main character is of especial interest, but overall I watch a lot more drama without being prejudice towards the genre.

Thriller

I've come to realize this is either a difficult genre to get right, or I'm more oppose it than I think. It's stroke me lately that thrillers rarely manage to give me the entertainment I want from them. I do look forward to take on some of the older classic in this genre, and still have hopes it'll grow on me.

Comedy

I've stated in several reviews they are my achilles. I want to laugh as much as the next guy, but I rarely find them as amusing as others. I know my ratings of comedy usually goes below the average for those movies, but if you're aware as you read them you'll know why. It's probably my sense of humor it's something wrong with. The Ben Stillers, Jim Carreys and Will Farrells of this world will have to excuse me, but I rarely find them very entertaining. On the other hand I often find witty dialogue in other genres amuse me and pull the movie towards a better rating than it originally looked set for within its own genre, so I'm not completely without humor at least. It just seems like the comedies made rarely hit me.

Documentary

I usually don't review them. I might watch them every once in a while, but rarely are they more of a movie than a documentation of a story so you'll rarely come across those here.

Musical

I'm not very musical of me. I rarely listen to music for pleasure, and have weird taste. As a result I rarely watch musicals either, and my guess is I'll rate them lower than the general public due to limited appreciation of music.

Adventure

I'm a huge fan of adventure. It doesn't have to be filled with action or suspense to entertain. Adventure is an underestimated genre, and entertain much like the books of Jules Verne once did. Finding treasures, following clues and maps and hunt for lost civilizations has its own charm and magic, and I wouldn't be without the genre.

Animation

A modern art form in world of movies. Much thanks to Disney and Pixar we've found a new entertainment value for the entire family. While the animations them self might be fun for the kids, the new wave are often filled with references, humor and stories able to entertain any age.

Western

In my younger days I read a lot of westerns, and I enjoy them taken to the movies as well.

Fantasy

I'm not ashamed to say much like romance I also enjoy the fantasy genre, whether its about vampires, magical worlds or fairy tales interacting with modern life.

Mystery

While I also mentioned mystery under the crime genre, it's probably more than wide enough to take up its own slot. I tend to love mysteries, both the complicated once revolving around solving them and the twists using mystery to freshen up other genres.

War

There's made a lot of different war movies. Some aim to be historical correct. Other use war as a scene to tell drama or romance stories. While war itself never is entertaining, war is an important part of the movie industry as there's been both a lot of good war movies, but also because war often tend to bring forward stories dying to be told. I can hold my breath for more Pearl Harbors to be made, but the history of movies wouldn't be the same without movies like Zwartboek, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon and Saving Private Ryan just to mention a few.

Teen

Whether it's coming of age stories, romances or comedies, I often enjoy stories told within the teens. Sub-genre of other genres, teen often might make a story work that wouldn't if it was set for a story about someone in their 30s.

Others

I love sport, but sport movies are rarely worth the time. Like I mentioned in drama I'm usually not a big fan of biographies. Noir is usually done within crime or another genre so I don't mention it as an own, but I often like noir. Family is rarely watched, probably because I don't have any children, but they rarely excel expectations on its own. Combined with other genres like fantasy they might. I think I've mentioned every major genre now.


Genre and ratings

In short. I think I'm easier satisfied with a quite simple romance story told well, than others might be. It doesn't make a lot of them reach 9 or 10, but I'll probably give a lot more 7s to the genre than others might. The same is probably to a certain degree truth about action movies, even though I feel they rarely make them as good as I hope these days. Mystery, adventure and crime does probably also easier reach the 7 than genres like Sci-Fi, comedy, thrillers and musicals, while war, animation and westerns still have to do something to as easily entertain me.

It's probably not fair for those genres low on my favorite list, but fairness shmerness. I rate due to my level of entertainment and appreciation, and now I've at least let it shine through which genres speaks louder to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment