Monday, January 18, 2010

Am I becoming a snob?

So, I've only managed to throw out about 76 ratings so far, but I'm starting to feel the pressure. Can a movie like Definitely, Maybe or Love Actually really defend rating as well as Chinatown or Inglourious Basterds, even if I've stated there's a big possibility the latter will grow on me with time and repeated viewing? Can Reservoir Dogs defend a top score along Pulp Fiction? And is it in any way possible to stand by rating Juno at same rating as movies like Moulin Rouge!, The Lives of Others and a classic like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Is it in any way possible to rate acclaimed movies like Atonement, Vicky Cristina Barcelona and 25th Hour equal to mediocrity like Wimbledon, Chasing Liberty and The Sum of All Fears?

Of course that can all happen, as rating is personal and individual, but can I still keep any kind of credibility? I've got my doubts. Still any movie has its own job to do. It vary from genre to genre, but it's about entertaining or offering an experience within its own limitations. There's no doubt Atonement is a better movie than Chasing Liberty and The Sum of All Fears. But Atonement try to tell an epic drama story with romance, a hint of mystery and a time of war, and doesn't quite manage to make it home. Chasing Liberty only try to entertain with a light story of youthful rebellion and romance, and succeed enough for me to be satisfied when the movie plays, even the third time around. The Sum of All Fears try to bring to life a book filled with details, bringing Jack Ryan in to the CIA rooms of power and thrill with a nuclear treat of the war. It does like Atonement not quite get there, but just enough to still make me follow the story with some suspense. In all fairness it's probably the one of these closest to be relegated to a six, but I still feel the supporting roles is acted so well it doesn't quite deserv to.

I don't have the same expectations for a lighthearted romantic comedy as I've got for a story trying to tell an epic drama or a story wanting to entertain with thrilling action and chasing cars, and I've got to remember that when I rate. Just like I'm sure you got completely different expectations when you go to watch a splatter movie than you have when you take on a movie like The Lives of Others. While the acting and story in the latter engage you, you're much more interested in how they entertain you with blood, humor and creativity in the splatter movie.

Movies is about entertainment, feelings, favorites, passion, acting and much much more, but not all movies set out on the same journey. Some have smaller parts to play, but might do so with such charm and grace they still deserve the recognition of a high rating. I'll probably never watch a romantic comedy score a ten, but I hope I'll find a couple of nines as time goes by. Just don't count on them to be as good a movie as The Lives of Others anyway.

And my opinions of a title will change as time passes by or I revisit them, like it's recently happened to Whip It, Léon and Taken. Whip It got adjusted up after repeated viewings within two weeks and as it grow in my mind afterward, Léon got adjusted up on revisiting it probably about ten years since the last time I watched it and Taken got adjusted down after repeat viewing and afterward thoughts. Some movies doesn't only live while you watch them, but the thoughts and feelings they leave you with might make them grow as time passes. And just like that, a list of ratings is a living organism in constant change. Some titles will never be revisited or thought about, and will for ever stand with their rating, whether it was too easily gained or too hardly judged. Others will grow or drop. It's the nature of ratings.

I might probably still always keep wondering about some ratings, but despite the ugly feeling of becoming a snob I hope I'll still continue rewarding light entertaining doing exactly what it's supposed to. Just keep that in mind while you shake your head over some of the movies rated equally at my rating list.

No comments:

Post a Comment