Saturday, January 9, 2010

Atonement (2007)

Atonement is a dramatic romance story more than anything else, but my love for England brings a lot more to the table during the first part of this movie. Unfortunately I do feel the mystery part is explained in to much details too early, and it ruins part of the story for me.

Once again when a movie ends I've got this feeling this really could have been something quite impressive, but in the end it feels like nothing less than a story we've been told so many times. Just changing a bit of the wrapping and labels, doesn't make it what it could have been.

Saoirse Ronan brings interest to her future thanks to her part, while Keira Knightly and James McAvoy does little to shine. If I felt I could watch this again soon it would probably have got a better rating, but it's far from focused enough for me to take another full 2 hours reliving it.

It got a lot of praise and even Oscar nomination for best picture, but I feel they've fallen in love with the idea of movie more than the execution. Or maybe 2007 just wasn't that good a year for pictures? I don't think it necessarily was the problem, and know of quite the handful movies bringing more to the table that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment