Monday, January 25, 2010

Star Trek (2009)

I'm not a fan of the franchise or even the genre, so I guess Star Trek was a hard sell on me to begin with. J.J. Abrams has got the honor to reset the franchise taking it back to the early days.

The story isn't much to brag about. You always got a problem creating false tension when you take a franchise back to its early days, and even me not being a fan of the franchise knew who would for sure survive the movie. It doesn't help much when the entire plot feels like something from the days of the TV-shows prime. It's not very smart, it's filed with cliches and it's a hard sell overall.

It still got some charm, and that's what saves the experience for me. With actors not given much to work with, a story so thin and a lot of false tension throughout the movie, the charm and to some extend some of the CGI saves it from being a truly boring experience.

Fans of the franchise will probably have completely different reasons to hate or love it, but to me it was an experience I could do without. There's obviously sequels coming, but that's hardly a surprise and who knows if I'll even take the time when those arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment