Saturday, January 16, 2010

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

It's been nine years since Moulin Rouge! was released, and I just watched it for the very first time. I know, I got a lot of others to catch up on as well. In my review for Once, I wrote "If I had a stronger connection to music myself, I'd probably find it even better". Keep that in mind as you read on.

Moulin Rouge! has its weaknesses and flaws, but it's a movie aiming for grand, aiming for preposterous, aiming for the extravagant and the insane, and wow! does it succeed. It's a rare experience watching a movie were you can feel a scene grow while you watch it and feel the magic wrap around you and capture you into its spell.

I'm not a man music easily can carry away, but Moulin Rouge! has a power forcing itself on the audience. How often do you watch movies for the very first time, and as you experience a scene you just want to wrap it into a tiny little box and carry it with you in your mind forever? Moulin Rouge! has such scenes.

I'm quite honestly stunned, and I'll not go nine more years until next time I watch it. On first viewing you notice details, but this must be a movie worth studying for more. It's got more than music and more than a story. It's got visual powers and choreography not only in the big scenes, but also in smaller duets and dialogues.

One more thing. Nicole Kidman, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment