Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chinatown (1974)

Director: Roman Polanski
Writer: Robert Towne
Cast: Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

Chinatown is a new-noir movie blending in nicely with the original ones, about the private detective taking on an adultery case and finding himself knee-deep into a much bigger case involving a murder.

Comparing to what sort of movies made about similar themes in the 80s and 90s, it's refreshing to revisit Roman Polanski's classic movie of Robert Towne's script. It has the necessary twists and turns who reminds me of PI books written decades ago, who still hold a higher standard than most you come across today.

I still have some small problems with it in between, but overall it holds a much deserved status as a classic which its current 60th spot on IMDB's top250 list proves. 36 years since its making it's still as alive as the day they premiered it. Something tells me I'd feel the same if I'm lucky enough to watch it in another 36 years as well.

Maybe then I'll also be more likely to appreciate a couple of the things I now see as flaws. I'm not going into details about those, as it's tied closely enough to the plot it can be spoiling the fun for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment