Friday, January 8, 2010

12 angry men (1957)

I got to admit I'm not really sure if I've seen this movie before, or if it's just because of all those inspired by it who made me fell like I revisited a dear old friend when I watched it last week.

12 angry men is at the moment ranked 7th on IMDB's top 250 list of all time greatest movies, and much deservedly so. 53 years since its release it still sparks. Most of the movie set in a single New York jury room, taking the audience on a dialogue based journey discussing the murder case they are jurors on, and we never feel the need to get out of that room to enjoy that journey.

Whether or not it was original back then, it now feels like something we've all seen before. On the other hand, I still haven't seen it done better. Just the way they change the camera angles and lenses throughout the movie is reason enough to revisit it more than half a century later.

12 very different men, and still they represent the differences seen any place. At your work, in your local gym, at your school or even in the jury taking on your case tomorrow. It might not be as groundbreaking as it might have been back then, but it still nothing less than a classic movie well worth your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment