Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cold Mountain (2003)

Cold Mountain have been laying around waiting quite a while for me to get to it. It's never seemed like the time to get started, but after watching Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge! I just had to get around to her again quickly.

I wasn't sure what I expected. Been a while since I was commercialized with this, but I did somehow believe it should be a romantic drama. It's not. It's a drama. It's strengths is how it deals with those left behind during war and its acting. The story isn't much to talk about and while the book it's based on probably spoke to someone, they should also have realized this isn't such a great story for a movie.

You fairly early realize what you've got in store for you the rest of the movie, and that's not always such a good idea. Especially when the leading characters are as they are. Not to say it's not refreshing to every once in a while get this kind of shy romance, but it doesn't work with the story at hand.

Kidman, Law and Zellweger acts well to carry the movie, and we've got several good supporting performances. In the end that's what kept me torn. The acting and the character developments are of such quality it's worth a movie, but the story they got to do it within isn't. In the end the scaled tipped towards not worth the time, but they're not very shy of the 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment