Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mean Girls (2004)

I hadn't watched Mean Girls since probably when it arrived in 04, and now I've recently found it mentioned on two quite different top100 lists for the past decade. I had to arrange a revisit, and now I actually had some expectations. Words like satire, funny, rewatchable and smartly written have been used describing it.

To me it actually got relegated on my second viewing. Originally rated at 6, this time it couldn't even hold up that. It's way too uneven. Were it manages to be funny a little while, it always splashes seconds later. The story isn't strongly enough edited, the caricatures is stretched outside funny and way too far into embarrassing and it doesn't manage to nail either the high school experience or the satire of the high school experience.

Rachel McAdams and Lacey Chabert is good as two thirds of the original plastics, but there's not enough of a script to go around. Top 100 of the decade? Give me a break. This isn't even close to what it's hyped to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment