Saturday, January 9, 2010

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)

I've yet to see this Woody Allen the critiques loves so much, but then again the man has made a lot of movies and I haven't seen much of his 70s and 80s work.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona makes me feel like a tourist. Not in Barcelona, but in the movie. It's a show-off of Barcelona, of Vicky, of Cristina, of Allen's writing and of every other element of the movie. It shows the highlights on a guided tour, but never scratches the surface to give me the glimpse I'm waiting for.

To make it feel even more so is the narration. I don't mind narration itself, but used like here I think it hurts and harms the movie more than it enlighten us in the audience. I actually find myself irritated at the entire narration several times.

The movie is semi-interesting. It's enough good acting, dialogue and story to come off good, but in the end I do feel cheated. It just feels like this could have been so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment