Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Heathers (1988)

Were Mean Girls didn't manage to get me aboard the hype train, I did come across several referring to Heathers when praising it. Still after knocking down on Mean Girls, I do take its praise serious enough I had to check out the original twenty years or so after its release.

And while satire most definitely isn't my strongest genre, Heathers spoke to me a lot more than Mean Girls ever did. Ryder, Slater, Doherty and Walker does well to give life to an interest part of Westerburg High School.

The script is filled with a lot of witty dialogue, but it's not balanced enough for my taste.While the more boring parts probably are meant to play on adults view of teenagers life and struggles, I tend to yawn. It probably helps to underline the satire and everything, but to me it mostly makes me check for coffee or consider taking up smoking again.

Anyway. If you really liked Mean Girls and thought it was the real deal, Heathers might very well convince you it had been done better 15 years earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment