Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the kind of movie growing on you, both through repeat viewing and in the back of your mind. I know I only reward it with an eight, but its a strong one and I do suspect it even might make the jump up whenever I again come around to another view.

Shane Black made a name for himself back in the 90s as a screenwriter, with successes like Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout and The Long Kiss Goodnight to his name. This is the first time he also directs, and what a strong debut.

The cast is brilliant. Downey Jr. at his best, Kilmer in one of his absolute best performances and Monaghan proves she's about more than external beauty. I even liked Corbin Bernsen, and that's quite remarkable looking back at all kind of shit he's been in.

This movie's plot is a classic noir detective story, but the narration is playful and not afraid to shine it doesn't take itself too seriously. Add witty dialogue and voila. You got a pearl shining. In style it reminds me of greats like Pulp Fiction, L.A. Confidential and also his former work The Last Boy Scout, and I think this is a movie too often overlooked.

It does have some flaws as well, and I'm not blind to those either. The problem is only the flaws are in fact a chosen way of telling the story, and part of its charm, so picking on them being flaws wouldn't really be fair to the movie itself. I'm not even sure I got the last sentence there, but to put it in other words. The story could have been told as a normal noir detective story without the narration, talking to camera and audience and all those other small details, and it might have been a quite decent story still. The only problem is those flaws, narrations, smart-ass comments and adressings to the audience is also part of why the story goes beyond the plot itself and grows on you. I doubt it would have without it, and I for sure don't think it would have stayed in the back of my mind without it.

I'm actually already looking forward to the next time I'll enjoy this, and I'm somewhat curious whether or not it will manage to take another step up my rating tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment