Friday, January 15, 2010

In the Land of Women (2007)

Director: Jon Kasdan
Writer: Jon Kasdan
Cast: Meg Ryan, Adam Brody, Kristen Stewart, Makenzie Vega, Olympia Dukakis, Elena Anaya
Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy

In the Land of Women doesn't exactly lift off early. It's limping along and we seem destined for failure, but to me the women makes it worth the the experience.

Meg Ryan, Kristen Stewart and to a certain degree Makenzie Vega and Olympia Dukakis is the main reason to even bother, as Adam Brody doesn't do much we haven't seen from him before.

This is most of all a drama with comedy and a small pinch of romance, but it doesn't manage to fulfill the dramatic parts of the movie enough to really get the audience into it. It would have been better off taking another editing of the script. It's not focused enough on what kind of movie it wants to be.

I've seen it twice. Once before I knew much about Kristen Stewart, and once after I discovered her talent. I'm not ashamed to say it's probably why this movie survives the second viewing without me cutting the rating. Stewart and Ryan does well. One have been a star a long long time, while the other is a future superstar. Don't let the Twilight saga convince you of anything else. Without these two women this movie would have taken much more of a beating from me. I can see were it was aiming, but the lack of editing results in ultimately a dependence of something special in the acting department. I found it, but I'll not be surprised if that's not enough for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment