Saturday, January 9, 2010

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino's latest gift to his audience, and this review is only based on my first viewing. I'll be the first to admit Tarantino's work usually grow on you upon further viewings, so I suppose I might be back to rewrite my thoughts later.

Once again his work is filled with scenes screaming Tarantino at you, and that's never a bad thing. His small touches on theatrical use of violence is something his been famous for throughout his career, and taken to a war-movie there's no shortage here either. Due to the use of several languages his touch for dialogue loses some of its usual wit, but I prefer the use of French, German and Italian rather than having a lazy movie pretending everyone should speak English all the time during a war in Nazi-occupied France. I wouldn't be surprised if a second viewing manages to bring me more golden dialogue, but after the first I do feel like I've missed out on one of Tarantino's trademarks.

Playing God with important historical events is challenging. Rewriting history as we know it has its price, but I've got no doubts it worked out quite well as a movie. The acting is in most cases very good, and especially Christoph Waltz makes an admirable job as Col. Hans Landa. When Tarantino one day will look back at his career, Inglourious Basterds will not be seen as a stain on his resume. I for one is looking forward to the second viewing as soon as the end-credits appear on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment