Wednesday, January 13, 2010

25th Hour (2002)

Spike Lee's 25th Hour was mentioned on some top of the decade list, so I had to check it out. I can understand why it was so liked, but I did find it too uneven and I wasn't a huge fan of parts of the side stories.

If the entire movie had the standard of the five minute Norton monologue, it would have been a masterpiece. Unfortunately its just brilliant in bits and pieces. The acting is really good though. Norton, Pepper, Dawson and Seymour Hoffman is a stunning ensemble. Paquin wasn't dragging it down either in her smaller part.

I can appreciate a movie choosing to follow a convicted criminal, without having to be one of those movies glorifying violence, drugs and the whole shabang, but I felt the story wasn't quite as well stitched together as it should have been. It's still on the upper end of my chosen rating, and very little would have been needed to take it up one more notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment