Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)

Make Way for Tomorrow

Perfection.

I'll be surprised if I'll ever be able to start a review with that word again. Pleasantly so I might add, but very surprised none the less.
As overlooked when it arrived as it still is today. Only 1343 votes at IMDB tells all about how forgotten it is. Director Leo McCarey made another movie in 1937, The Awful Truth, igniting Cary Grant's launch to superstar fame. Unlike Make Way for Tomorrow, The Awful Truth was nominated for several Oscars and actually also won McCarey his first one. It was even the 'Best Director' category, and the story goes McCarey stood up saying:
"You gave it to me for the wrong picture."

That speaks of McCarey thoughts of this movie. Looking at how little fame it have received since, I can only wonder what he must have felt as years past by.

I have very few problems understanding his reaction on the Oscar ceremony, as there's really not a single misplaced step in this one. The direction is spot on throughout, the acting is first rate, the story is timeless and as important 73 years later, and the subject and characters are handled with respect, love and an eye for details. I could go on speaking of this movie for hours, but there's really very little left worth saying after my first word so I'll rather make an appeal.

While there's never a bad time to watch this masterpiece, we're coming up at the Christmas holiday now. It's the absolute perfect time to watch it, whether it's for the very first time or as a revisited reminder of the important stuff we so easily forget even at this time a year. It's a disgracefully overlooked gem, and my hope is that everyone goes into this holiday touched by McCarey's forgotten masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment