Thursday, December 9, 2010

In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2007)

In Search of a Midnight Kiss

In Search of a Midnight Kiss is a no-budget indie movie with the unknown director Alex Holdridge, and unknown leads in Scoot McNairy and Sara Simmonds, helped by executive producer Anne Walker-McBay whom co-produced and produced in movies like Dazed and Confused and Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. The two later is rather important, as this indie is molded much in the same way as the story of Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy's characters from those.

This movie does however stand on its own, as the unfamiliar actors in the leads helps us relate to them as the story progress. Both Simmonds and McNairy are doing their job very well, even though you might feel differently until their characters get under your skin. At least that's how it was for me, and they sure managed to get well beyond my skin.

Thanks to great location and camerawork, we're taken on a New Years Eve-ride through LA that I'm not about to forget soon. Something tells me the memory of their characters Wilson and Vivian, will stay with me for many New Years Eve's to come. That's something few movies trigger.

I don't think this movie is for everyone, but it sure hit home with me. Give it a chance, and it might very well repay you with a long lasting memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment