Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Last Picture Show (1971)

The Last Picture Show

I didn't remember this was a Larry McMurtry story until the end credits, but it sure made a lot of sense being reminded. For those unfamiliar with Larry, he co-wrote the Brokeback Mountain screenplay not long ago and is the author behind the Lonesome Dove series.

Even when the movie came out in 71, Bogdanovich took us back in time, to the early 50's and the death of movie theatre's as they were known. It must have been at least as wonderful a journey back then as it's now. The mood and atmosphere of the West Texas town Anarene is stunning, and McMurtry and Bogdanovich knew how to treat their small town people.

I sometimes wonder if I weren't born way to late (and on the wrong continent), and after this I'm again left wondering about it. I guess I'm just like the next guy when it comes to sentimental foolery.

Whatever happened to Sonny, Duane, Jacy and the rest, I doubt Texasville would do me nothing more than ruin the memories of this classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment