Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This is Spinal Tap (1984)

This is Spinal Tap is the 80's mockumentary take on Rock n' Roll, presenting itself as a Rockumentary, following our fictional heroes of the band 'Spinal Tap'. I've time and time again mentioned here satire isn't really my thing, and I feel I have to remind you again because this wasn't very rewarding for me.

I get a lot of the references, the jokes and the jokes on the jokes, but it's just not especially funny or new. We've in many cases been laughing of the real rock stars of the same reasons for a long time. They just didn't know, understand or even care. Lets face it. They made enough money to not care who did or didn't laugh of them rather than with them.

Being shot in the documentary style works quite well, and it's no doubt director Rob Reiner and his co-writers have worked hard on this movie. Those more familiar with rock history than me probably gain even more from this movie, as it seems the characters are built on real life stars within the genre. I'm still standing on the outside humming rather than laughing and nodding my head rather than headbanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment