Wednesday, June 9, 2010

She's Out of My League (2010)

She's Out of My League is another movie based on a young male rating low on the objective dating scoreboard, falling head over heels for a young woman pretty much able to choose anyone. Sound like something you've seen before? It should. These kind of movies are becoming so usual I guess there's a new genre named after them.

This one doesn't stand out in any way. Jay Baruchel isn't convincing in the lead, he's a loser in even my book because of how he allows everyone to step on him and a couple of other spoiler-ish reasons I'm not gonna reveal here, the comedy parts are mostly the usual adolescent college kind I'm not a huge fan of and the balance between romantic and pathetic isn't nailed.

Fifteen of the first twenty-five minutes are actually enjoyable, Alice Eve is a pleasant enough introduced new actress on my parts, Krysten Ritter does a quite charming support role and in some scenes this movie nails pretty well both cute and romantic.

On its best and with its best intentions, the script aims for good entertainment. On its worst its way too simple, very naive and lacking charm. Sadly the lead role helps dragging it towards the worst end way to often, and I'm left wondering how much work I would have had to do on this script and casting to make it work. That's not what I like being left with after watching a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment