Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Legend of 1900 (1998)

La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano is molded the same way many epic movies are, but The Legend of 1900 is rarely mentioned for a reason. It tries a little too hard to come across as an important story, but never elevates to its potential. The story of the musical genius born and raised aboard SS Virginian is told in an interesting way, but the story itself have some severe lacks to really capture its audience.

Tim Roth does another great role as the pianist easiest recognized as '1900', but that's barely surprising as he is one of my second string favorites thanks to him being introduced to me by Quentin Tarantino through both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. In fact, I'm still unsuccessfully trying to get my hands on Tim Roth own directional debut The War Zone from 1999. That is actually rather annoying, but I digress.

I enjoy the way this movie tries to tell its story, but unlike in The Shawshank Redemption; this storyteller never manages to capture the story with the right amount of feel. Along with the scripts missed balance, the entire story never manage to lift off like it should have done.

I could have said a lot more about this movie, but in the end I'll remember it as a story I wish I could have really enjoyed as it's got many qualities suggesting it should be. Still the feeling of an end product far from its potential is rather annoying. Annoying enough I feel cheated, especially as the movie spends more than two hours and still doesn't take the time to really use all tangents at its disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment