Monday, May 31, 2010

When in Rome (2010)

When in Rome starts out as so many romantic comedies before. A successful pretty girl too busy working to care about love. The only reason it actually works, and it actually does, is Kristen Bell. I've said it before, and I'll probably do it for a while. I love that girl. Still, Serious Moonlight proved I'll come down with a fury fist also on her movies if I'm not satisfied.

So. When in Rome actually kept my attention for a while. Bell dancing with the unfamiliar, to me, Josh Duhamel in her sisters wedding gave me hope of a pleasant movie. Of course they strayed off trying to stand out, adding a fantasy tag to the movie and a spell to the plot. Bad move. From there the only thing keeping my interest is Bell, and even in my book that doesn't come close to be enough. I just wish Kristen stopped trying so hard to stand out. Doing a couple of regular romantic comedies isn't the career killer it maybe once was. Serious Moonlight and When in Rome is much worse than even Forgetting Sarah Marshall, as Jason Segel and Russell Brand won't ever help anybody's careers.

Alexis Dziena and Danny DeVito does well in their small roles, and Duhamel was a pleasant enough new actor for me. Director Mark Steven Johnson on the other hand, is a guy making anything he directs into crap. I haven't yet reviewed Ghost Rider here, but I can mention there's another rotten tomato coming. Also Daredevil didn't turn out half the movie it could have been, so I guess I'll stay far away from his debut Simon Birch. Stick to writing Mark. Even there you don't impress, but at least other directors can come in and save the pieces.

And Kristen: Call me! You should sack your agent and I'll help you read scripts. This crap isn't worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment