Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is a tease. It starts out interesting with its Imaginarium, its dark enchantment and Lily Cole. Soon enough the movie loose its appeal. Where the promise is fascinating, the viewing pleasure is quite unimaginative, unoriginal and much like most trailers it promise a great deal more than it can deliver.

Co-writer and director Terry Gilliam is a familiar name to unfamiliar movies. With a past including Twelve Monkeys, Brazil and Monty Python, he's no stranger to strange happenings. From this movie I'll sadly only take the memory of Heath Ledger, well aware this was far from his best performance, and the revelation of Lily Cole whom I've never seen before.

In my opinion; if you can't imagine the last 80 minutes of the movie after its first 40 minutes, you might be in desperate need of an Imaginarium. I don't mind predictability, if we at least get entertainment on other levels or style in the performance. Gilliam's touches became more boring than anything else, and then I found the length of it unbearable. I'll rather look to his other works, I'll rather remember Ledger for other roles and I'll most definitively look out for Lily Cole in her next roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment