Sunday, May 9, 2010

Finding Neverland (2004)

Finding Neverland is the story about 'Sir James M. Berrie', the creator of 'Peter Pan', and his friendship with the family who inspired his 'Neverland'. Directed by Marc Forster, who previously gave us Monster's Ball and later have signed off on movies like The Kite Runner and Stranger Than Fiction, are helped along by the magnificent cast of Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet in the leading roles. No one in their right mind should deny both are extremely talented actors.

While the story at hand is nothing short of magical, inspiring and admirable, it's still not necessary one bringing all the greatest compliments when brought to life in a movie. The imagination and playfulness of 'Berrie', the enchanted children and the times they lived in all make for inspired story writing. Bringing in parts of the story very well known now about 'Peter Pan', doesn't help as much as it sell out its own story.

I'm inspired by the story told, I see the world in a slightly brighter light and I most definitely admire 'Berrie' for staying in touch with his inner child. Still I'm not equally enchanted every step through the movie. There's something to be said about my dislike of those times portrayed, as all that facade and gossip and such annoys the living daylight out of me. There's also something to be said about too little time spent on showing us just a little more of the interactions between 'Berrie' and his wife, as it would go a long way defining their marriage a little better.

I enjoyed the movie, I'm delighted and enchanted by the back story of 'Peter Pan' and the acting is great. I still can't justify all of the movie which touches on 'Peter Pan', and I end up feeling more for the character 'Berrie' than I do for this movie about him and his befriended family. I guess that's another reason to credit Depp, but then again it's also a reason to question Forster.

No comments:

Post a Comment