Sunday, May 2, 2010

Do the Right Thing (1989)

Do the Right Thing is a Spike Lee baby in every way. Writing, directing and starring himself, there's really no one else to share credit or blame with. From my point of view we're talking blame, but I'm not blind to the reactions and responses it's gotten elsewhere.

I don't mind giving credit for being influential, asking questions about society and bringing attention to race related issues. The problem for me is the movie's many weaknesses as a movie. The acting vary a lot. There's some really good performances, but there's also some performances so painful to watch it should be obvious to Spike he should have chased them off the set. The story tries to build tension from a slow everyday feel of the neighborhood until the climax. The problem is it manages to bore me a lot during the first three quarters. I've lost interest in the story before he brings the story to attention.

The movie is so out of focus, it's ruining momentum rather than building the feel of tension. Add some characters everybody, white, indian, asian or afro-american alike, all should be brushing off as out of their mind, I can't for the better of me excuse the runtime of this supposedly late 80's classic. Whining, bitching, insulting, boring or crazy. Anyway they pitch this, it must be one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment