Sunday, March 27, 2011

Three Colors: Red (1994)

Trois couleurs: Rouge

I finally got around to watch the third and final movie of Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy, following Three Colors: Blue and Three Colors: White, and this time lead by Irène Jacob who I absolutely loved in another Kieslowski movie: The Double Life of Veronique.

Kieslowski announced his retirement after this movie, and only two years later he died. He'd deserved to rest on his laurels for a couple of decades more, for my immediate reaction after seeing this is that I want to watch the entire trilogy again as soon as possible. His style is so gripping, and none of the his movies can be grasped without taking the time to think them over, watch them again and think some more; enjoying the entire experience as you go on.

I'm convinced my rating for all three parts of his trilogy will be higher on next viewing, and I look forward to it.

Irène Jacob is again great, this time with Jean-Louis Trintignant as successful partner. Kieslowski paints his picture with wisdom and knowledge, and dare us to look behind the beauty he capture his characters with. Three Colors is a powerful trilogy, and Red is most definitely a worthy statement of ending an impressing career at a high.

No comments:

Post a Comment