Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Consequences of Love (2004)

Le conseguenze dell'amore

In many ways it reminds me of a couple of other movies getting out about the same time. Very good movies even. I'm talking about personal favorites like Lost in Translation and Das Leben der Anderen. It takes us along on another journey of loneliness, life without meaning and dull repetitiveness for the main character.

Titto Di Girolamo lives a strange life at a hotel in Switzerland, but things are finally upon to change after years on years of doing the same. We get to tag along for the ride, and while I never get the same feeling the two previously mentioned personal favorites gave me; it's still no doubt an interesting journey to tag along on.

Paolo Sorrentino have both written and directed it, and I'll definitely look out for some of his others works after this experience. Almost as usual he cast Toni Servillo in the lead, and Servillo is great as Titto. What does however surprise me is how little work Olivia Magnani have had after this performance. Her role might not be huge, but she's got the face and the eyes to really nail her part. I hope to see more from her in the future as well. She seems like another diamond in the rough no-one have taken the time to polish.

Sorrentino haven't managed to quite capture the feel like Coppola did in Tokyo, and that's the main reason I'm not as impressed with this as I easily could have been. The score is however another bright part helping the movie nicely along.

No comments:

Post a Comment