Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sense and Sensibility (1995)

Sense and Sensibility

I'll always wonder how this Emma Thompson adaptation of Jane Austen's debut novel came to gain such praise and acknowledgment. In my eyes it's nothing short of a butchered adaptation, and even when looked upon solely on its own merits as a movie it's a minor work.

Sense and Sensibility was Austen debut novel, and has severe lacks in dialogue and wit compared to that of Pride and Prejudice or even Emma. Thompson have however managed to take the adaptation the only way it could go worse. I'll keep director Ang Lee to take some of the blame as well, but with Thompson both writing and leading; whatever respect she's previously gained with me are muted for a while. I confess I doubt she's ever understood S&S at all.

There's still quite a few good things to say about this movie, and most of it comes from the cast. While Thompson certainly is no Elinor, Winslet, Rickman and Laurie are all amongst those doing very well with the material they've got ahead of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment