Monday, March 14, 2011

A Walk to Remember (2002)(2nd)

A Walk to Remember

Since the last time I reviewed this movie, I've actually got around to read the novel. I'm not going to lie; I wasn't exactly blown away by Sparks' novel. Then again it had to be compared to everything else I've been reading lately, and they've been classics.

Still. Sparks' got one thing right. He knew what had to be the center of the story, and stuck to it despite never really managing to tell the story that was hidden within the idea.

This movie goes the opposite way, and digs deeper into stuff it shouldn't have been so eager to examine. I'd be bold enough to say I can easily spot where both the novel and the movie went wrong, but then again that leaves room to make a better adaptation in the future. How many Pride and Prejudice adaptations did they make until the 1995 TV-miniseries staring Firth and Ehle finally got it spot on?

Mandy Moore is the reason to watch this movie, but this movie's Jaime Sullivan isn't ever close to what was intended. It's still got more heart than most of the genre can dream about, and for that A Walk to Remember will still be one of my personal favorites--even if I downgrade its score now.

No comments:

Post a Comment