Thursday, March 24, 2011

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I've never been Kaufman's greatest fan, but this one was the movie of his I connected most with at first viewing. I liked it, but far from loved it. I did however always feel like it wouldn't be far to judge it until I'd revisited it, and now was as good a time as any as I'm about to make a top ten list for the decade.

The cast is great. It's quite the ensemble, and I even enjoyed Jim Carrey. I'm not exactly his greatest fan either. As usual the females are important to my enjoyment, and I've loved both Dunst and Winslet for quite a while. Both are stunning here as well, but it's obviously Winslet that has most to work with. Her Clementine is remarkably well portrayed.

The idea is great, and this time the director manages to bring Kaufman's screwed up mind onto screen with an imperfection worthy of the plot. Rarely ever has a movie so well taken steps to bring desperate hope to imperfect love. All brought together in a whirlwind of SciFi mind-blowing manipulation. Watch it, enjoy it, watch it again and embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment