Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Pride and Prejudice" (1995)

"Pride and Prejudice"

It's been a little more than a year since I reviewed the 2005 movie adaptation of Jane Austen's best known work, then by Joe Wright starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet. In the meanwhile Colin Firth have won Oscar for his leading role in The King's Speech, a movie which again also included Jennifer Ehle in a smaller role, but more importantly I've actually read Austen's novel only a short while ago. While the latter might be a reason for taking such a liking to this TV-miniseries, I find these kind of stories are better told when you get the time to add depth to both the dialogue and the characters. This miniseries is 300 minutes against the 2005 movie's 127 minutes. That's a major difference, and one well spent.

While there's no doubt in my mind Austen's P&P is the best novel within its genre I've ever read, and one everybody should be acquainted with whether or not they intend to watch this mini-series or any other adaptation of the story, this mini-series are both true to so much of the original dialogue, feel and tone it's almost uncanny.

Andrew Davies have done remarkable well to adapt Austen's work to screen, Simon Langton have done a tremendous job directing the six episodes and the acting is astonishing. Colin Firth is nothing short of brilliant. Jennifer Ehle was sadly a new acquaintance for me, but she is the very essence of Elizabeth Bennet and charming like you wouldn't believe. Needless to say the sadly part of new acquaintance comes from the fact she deserves a lot of credit, and I'm only sad I've never known of her before. Also the supporting cast is thoroughly excellent and brings the different character to life in a way I'm absolutely certain Jane Austen would've approved wholeheartedly.

I obviously recommend to read the novel before you watch this adaptation, as it's a much deserved classic, but afterward I assure you this is nothing short of a masterpiece in true Austen spirit that should give you five more delightful hours within the same story all over again. By far the best TV-miniseries I've ever laid my eyes on; and I can't, at least in short, praise it the way it deserves to be praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment