Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Requiem for a Dream (2000)

Requiem for a Dream

Ellen Burstyn's role is the deservedly highlighted word of this movie, but I don't get the rest of the hype for it at all. Jennifer Connelly is obviously great as always, but what else is new?

The movie isn't very long, but it still got time to bore me every so often. Digging into four addicts, even if they are closely connected, you really shouldn't find time to bore me. Director Aronofsky never get to do more than touch the surface of the characters, and he brings very little to the table when it comes to originality and depth.

Leto and Wayans does well enough, but as I never expect much with them to begin with it doesn't tell you all that when it comes down to business. The music was good. I'll give it that much, and remember it by it and the female performances.

It also tries to be a depressing cautionary tale, but I guess I'm just to damn cynical by now. To succeed Aronofsky would've had to go a lot deeper than he did, but I guess it does the trick for the superficial viewer. At least its praises seems to suggest that's the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment