Monday, January 24, 2011

The Double Life of Veronique (1991)

La double vie de Véronique

Much like Hayao Miyazaki, Krzysztof Kieslowski is a director I've heard a lot of praise about, but not got around to until now. Now they've got more in common, as both impressed me at first meet.

Kieslowski takes us into his own pace, painting his picture with a lot of emotional care. For a while I wasn't quite sure where he was heading, but the ride never bored me anyway. Sometimes the journey is the goal, but he's got more up his sleeves.

The emotions is what I no doubt will remember this movie most by, and whether with music or just facial expressions; Kieslowski have done a brilliant job. Irène Jacob is perfect cast for the lead; not to shining at first eye, but with such a presence in scenes.

The Double Life of Veronique includes a brilliant love scene, done better than I can remember anything seen for quite a while. So much emotions and with such a knowledge, without having to dwell into exploitative camerawork to undermine it.

This is the kind of movie with the same ability to grow in your mind long after the end credits, much like Lost in Translation. I'm quite certain I'll revisit this as well, but until then I really look forward to check out other of Kieslowski's movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment