Sunday, September 26, 2010

But I'm a Cheerleader (1999)

Director: Jamie Babbit
Writer: Story: Jamie Babbit Screenplay: Brian Wayne Peterson
Cast: Natasha Lyonne, Clea DuVall, Eddie Cibrian, Melanie Lynskey, Cathy Moriarty
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Teen

But I'm a Cheerleader is another of those satire movies I don't seem to keep my hands of without really grasping every level, much like Saved!, Mean Girls, Heathers and the likes of those. This time around our heroine is a cheerleader suspected of being a lesbian, and shipped off to deprogramming at camp. Much like the other mentioned movies, I usually enjoy them far more than my rating should suggest, this was a pleasant surprise despite those kind words which lead me to it in the first place. Lyonne does great in the lead, and she's surrounded by a lot of young quality. I might mention there's possible to easily recognize names like Julie Delpy, Michelle Williams and Ione Skye in smaller parts.

Everything doesn't work as well as they probably hoped, but overall our suspected lesbian takes us on an entertaining journey which includes one of the most heartfelt romantic moments I've seen in quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment