Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Four Lions (2010)

Director: Christopher Morris
Writer: Jesse Armstrong, Sam Bain, Christopher Morris and additional writing: Simon Blackwell
Cast: Kayvan Novak, Riz Ahmed, Arsher Ali, Adeel Akhtar, Wasim Zakir, Mohammad Aqil, William El Gardi, Benedict Cumberbatch
Genre: Comedy, Drama

Four Lions takes a new look at a group of people usual only being real bad guys and exploding enemies in movies, the jihadists. Our group of British amateur jihadists offer us laughs after laughs in the hands of director Morris. This is by far the best comedy I've seen since Groundhog Day was revisited, and I can't even remember the last time any mostly comedic movie had me laughing as much.

There a more serious side to the movie as well, but unlike for example Defendor; the comedic side well overshadows any deeper thoughts. Still. The balanced use of such a serious issue, makes the experience better. It's not that easy to make comedy of terrorism these days. It's no doubt a very serious problem we face in media as well as the shadows of our western society, but that's no reason to not try. I applaud the writers for their great work, and I applaud Morris for his execution as well as I applaud the actors for daring to take on such a project. Four Lions is another must see, and I for one can't wait to revisit it on a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment