Saturday, September 25, 2010

Little Darlings (1980)

Director: Ronald F. Maxwell
Writer:
Story: Kimi Peck Screenplay: Kimi Peck, Dalene Young
Cast: Tatum O'Neal, Kristy McNichol, Armand Assante, Matt Dillon
Genre: Coming of Age, Comedy, Drama


Little Darlings are the reversed version of almost every single teen coming of age story ever told in movies. Usually we follow some geeks or jocks trying to lose their virginity, while we this time around follows Angel (McNichol) and Ferris (O'Neal) looking to get laid at summer camp to catch up with the rest of the girls who've already done it. From different side of tracks, one the rich girl and the other a rebel from the poor side they soon embark on the the realities of sexuality.

There's no doubt Little Darlings are flawed enough, but it's got a great cast and tons of charm and heart. Also the soundtrack is well worth noting. It's just one of those movies I recommend despite having to score it quite low.

2 comments:

  1. I don't care what any critic says about this movie . It is one of my Top Twenty Films of all time . There is one scene near the end of the movie after the "contest" is over , when Angel and Ferris are sitting in the swings talking . In that scene , Kristy McNichol gives one of the greatest performances by an actress I have ever seen . Certainly , one of the greatest scenes in motion picture history .

    Randolph Greer

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Greenwolfe1962: You'll be happy to know Little Darlings will be featured in one of my planned extra lists when I again get a little more time on my hand. Along with other cult classics like But I'm a Cheerleader and Saved!, Little Darlings are among those rare pictures I strongly recommend taking the time to watch despite the rating I gave might not have been the most favorable.

    ReplyDelete