Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Runaways (2010)

Director: Floria Sigismondi
Writer: Novel: Cherie Currie Screenplay: Floria Sigismondi
Cast:Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning,
Genre: Bio, Drama



The Runaways tells the story of the 70's band with the same name, a bio-pic based on band member Cherrie Currie's novel and with both Joan Jett and her solo-career songwriting partner Kenny Laguna as Executive Producers. With such influence from both the leading band members, there's a lot to be questioned on whether or not the bio-pic is as biographical as they claim. There's little doubt the movie casts manager Kim Fowley as the dark force, and the before mentioned involvements might have as much to do with that as the truth for all I know.

Anyways. I've recently began listing a lot more to music, a pop cultural treat I've avoided for the better part of my early thirty or so years. The Runaways haven't exactly crossed my path yet without this movie, but other influenced by this girl band from the 70's like Spice Girls and The Pipettes are well known to me. One because the mid-90's they were impossible to avoid and the other because they actually have some of the same features as The Runaways once had.

Back to the movie. Without much of a music interest, it's not that a very interesting story being told. It's the usual quick fame, drugs and rock n' roll, band split and different destiny's. Adding a little flavor to the mix is Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning cast in the two leading roles, and thanks to their stars the movie was always gonna get quite a lot of attention. It's overall much noise over nothing, but with my new-found musical interest it's no doubt I enjoyed the movie. I can't guarantee any other will though.

No comments:

Post a Comment