Monday, August 16, 2010

Killers (2010)

Director: Robert Luketic
Writer: Story: Bob DeRosa Screenplay: Bob DeRosa, Ted Griffin
Cast: Katherine Heigl, Ashton Kutcher, Tom Selleck, Catherine O'Hara
Genre: Action, Comedy, Romance, Thriller

Killers' cast Kutcher and Heigl in the lead, and I've never once denied I really have no idea why they keep casting Kutcher in lead after lead. He's got severe lacks in the acting department, and for the rest of his package I'm not the one to judge. I haven't exactly jumped at the Heigl-wagon either. So far she hasn't impressed me that much, but The Ugly Truth and Knocked Out come across a lot better than most Kutcher is involved in. I've never seen "Grey's Anatomy", and I guess most of her range should have been known from there by now.

Anyway. My point is this, if I had one when I started rambling: I went into this with low expectations. The premise wasn't half bad, even if it feels like just another take on Mr. and Mrs. Smith and the likes, but they soon enough start tripping over them self undecided on which movie to make. The suspense part isn't any good, the plot is awful and at several points should that have been obvious to the characters as well as the actors, writers and director. There's also, just to point to one specific, a phone conversation which should have led to a chain reaction regarding the main story, but obviously doesn't. And the drama parts are in general very weak, much because of Kutcher, but that might just be me.

The comedy have some really enjoyable scenes and quite a few semi-funny ones, which makes me enjoy myself more than I feared. Still combining comedic attempts with driving ahead the story or involving dramatic parts, equally often crushed the attempted jokes. There's also something to be said about inconsistencies on how a character evolve, which seems to suit the attempted jokes, but that's hardly surprising looking at the premise from a serious point of view. Anyways. I'd like to point out the last three seconds of the movie was enjoyable as well. In hindsight I can't believe I've never seen that in a movie before.

No comments:

Post a Comment