Thursday, August 5, 2010

Memento (2000)

Memento was the movie bringing director Christopher Nolan to the public knowledge. A stunning movie who captured audiences with its original storytelling and editing, as well as the original way to tell a mystery crime-drama.

It's got a few limitations, but I'll do the movie injustice to focus on them. The only reason I mention it at all, is the fact I think this movie is perfectly executed within its premises. The reason I rate it nine rather than ten is just the limitations I find within both the story and the created genre.

Like most mystery movies this lose a little on revisits because of your knowledge, but like another classic The Usual Suspects, I find this movie doesn't lose its quality because of it. Some movies would simply be boring or uninteresting on a second viewing after knowing the plot and storyline, but it's a testimony to Nolan's skills when Memento manages to hold on to your attention the second time around.

While the much awaited partnership between Nolan and Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception is making its way towards a theater near me, revisiting Memento and The Prestige have been a treat. I've got to get around to watch Following as well, his feature film low budget debut, but I don't think it'll happen until after his 2010 box office hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment