Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dark City (1998)

Dark City is a Sci-Fi mystery crime thriller created mostly by Alex Proyas, as he's behind the story, has co-written the screenplay and is the director. I've earlier said I'm not a huge fan of Sci-Fi, but I make exceptions like for instance with Moon. Dark City is another exception. Starring Rufus Sewell, Jennifer Connelly and William Hurt in the leading roles, Proyas have got a good team of actors telling a chanting tale reminding me of great Film Noir, some good old fashioned detective stories in the mold of Marlowe and simple Sci-Fi. It's a well balanced script, a simple stage for the story and good acting.

I truly enjoyed this movie, despite being quite predictable. Some times you get away with predictability, if you make sure you hit the nerve of the story and delivers it without hesitation. A story told much like Moon, without the need of a huge CGI spending.

While I enjoyed the entire cast in this, Jennifer Connelly was the main reason I watched this movie in the first place. Afterward I keep remembering her as the nightclub singing goddess. Her classic beauty is so perfect for this kind of role. She wears the Film Noir feel effortlessly, and it suits her as well as she suits it.

No comments:

Post a Comment