Monday, July 12, 2010

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is based on Chuck Barris own book about his life, adapted to a screenplay by Charlie Kaufman and directed by George Clooney. Looking at my earlier reviews of Kaufman's work, it's no secret I seem to not get him like most seem to do, and it seems to be the case here as well. The story of Chuck Barris might be an interesting one, but the movie about it gave me very little except good acting.

Sam Rockwell is once again doing a great job in the lead and Drew Barrymore and George Clooney himself is charming as usual in support. A lot of cameo's by Clooney's friends pay tribute, but doesn't really do a lot for the quality of the movie.

I didn't know much about Chuck Barris going into the movie, and now I can honestly say I really don't care much whether or not he actually was a CIA hit-man or the entire tale is an imaginary one spun to coy the public with his usual trickery creating several success TV-shows back then. I'm not sure if that's because of his story, Kaufman's adaption or Clooney's directing. The only thing I'm sure of is it ain't because of bad acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment