Saturday, April 24, 2010

Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)

I'd like to mention Grosse Pointe Blank has a certain cool to it that elevates it from other movies otherwise managing to gain the same entertainment score from me, but it's just quite not enough to give it a better rating. I'll also mention I've recently realized I'm more than just a little impressed by John Cusack. When I get around to it he'll join the lonely Ellen Page at my Wall of Talent.

Two years after the release of this movie, both The Sopranos and Analyze This popped up. Gangsters going to shrinks. 'Martin Blank' did it here, but whether or not that had some impact on De Niro and/or the HBO success show is nothing I know much about. It's still nice to remember Cusack didn't float on their cue. On the other hand Léon and Assassins had recently been released on the hit-man theme.

Anyways. Cusack and Minnie Driver have a nice chemistry in this movie. It's one of the reasons it works as well as it does, because there's more than enough moments throughout it you feel they should have been more focused in the script department. The Cusack/Driver connection helps you forget and forgive its flaws. It also helps having Piven, Cudlitz, Arkin and Joan Cusack around. Others praise Aykroyd for his part, but I think he's too tied with those moments dragging the movie down.

In the end Grosse Pointe Blank lives and dies with your view on John Cusack. If you're a fan or at least admire or respect his work, you'll probably enjoy the ride. He's not only the lead on paper, he carries this movie on his shoulders and does so in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment