Friday, April 16, 2010

An Education (2009)

An Education is another Nick Hornby experience. Back in January I revisited and reviewed several movies based on his books, with the best of them still being High Fidelity. This time Hornby have penned the script based on Lynn Barber's memoirs.

There's no point hiding the fact Hornby speaks to me, maybe mainly, like I mentioned just a couple of hours ago reviewing Sherlock Holmes, because I'm more in touch with England in many ways than I'm with America. Still there's severe lacks in this story. It's a coming of age tale about a teenage girl in suburban England in the 1960s, bored with her everyday life consisting of schoolwork and cello practice. Enter old playboy, and we suddenly find our self stuck in a familiar cautionary tale.

There's a bright spot somewhere, cause this movie got three Oscar nominations. I can't speak for the quality of Barber's memoirs, but Hornby got himself nominated for 'Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published'. I do believe the only reason An Education got nominated for 'Best Motion Picture of the Year' was they doubled to ten nominations in that category again. I can't see how it could possibly have made the cut with five, and I think they robbed someone even now. I do however believe the final nomination was a much deserved one. Carey Mulligan got herself nominated for 'Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role', and even if Sandra Bullock swept away this one too (just like she did in the SAG where also Carey was nominated) I do believe we'll see a lot more to Ms. Mulligan in the years to come. A moving performance in the lead, and she also got amongst others a BAFTA win for 'Best Leading Actress' in addition to the red carpet in Los Angeles.

My first impression is Carey Mulligan was the main reason to bother with this, and that's probably reason enough in fact, but I also suspect this is a movie that will grow on me with time and a second viewing. Don't be surprised if I come back one day adjusting my rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment