Monday, April 26, 2010

Before Sunset (2004)

Before Sunset is the story of 'Jesse' and 'Celine' catching up nine years after their meet portrayed in Before Sunrise, and it's been equally long since the first movie was made. I've never got around to watch Before Sunrise, so this review is entirely based on the Before Sunset on its own legs.

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delphy are 'Jesse' and 'Celine', and both do a great performance bringing life to these roles from the past. Much needed, as them talking and catching up is the movie. The dialogue drives the movie like it drives their feelings, and their feelings drive the dialogue.

Many considers this a great piece of movie history. I'm not as impressed. I've got several problems with the way the dialogue supposedly moves along. I thought the scripting was uneven, and without ever watching the first movie with these characters I find it really hard to buy their interactions at several points of the movie. It's still a good dialogue based movie I fully enjoyed, but it's the kind of movie you need to feel the connection. I didn't, and maybe that's because I never watched the original. Standing on its own I'll settle my rating for now, but I might get back to this one if I ever get to watch Before Sunrise, and then maybe this will grow on me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment